Friday 18 December 2015

Christmas Tree table runner

 Last week I went to the Spotlight sale where not only were there Christmas fat 1/4's for half price - but I got a VIP membership scratchy ticket for an extra 20% off. I wanted to make a Christmas table runner for a gift, a friend that likes the Scandinavian/Shabby Chic sort of Christmas vibe, but didn't have any Christmas fabrics left so.... I bought three fat 1/4's and a half metre of one print for the backing and binding all for only $10. I had the solid in my stash. I didn't have a pattern in mind and the fat 1/4's sat there for a couple of days before Diary of a Quilter  posted this cute little Christmas Tree block tutorial.. What a cute fun little block to make. This thing was finished in no time.... and the quilting took about an hour, full steam ahead I stitched the binding down by machine (instead of by hand). Haven't done that in a long time but surprisingly with the help of  my wonderful little Clover clips it was a breeze.
The result is very subtle and with very little contrast but I think it's quite cute in it's own way
The front from both ends
 I made six blocks as per the tutorial, resulting in a positive/ negative kind of look. I added a three inch strip to the bottom of a couple of blocks and 1 1/2 inch strips to the top and bottom of the other blocks to create a staggered effect and then added a final 1 1/2 inch strip to each end
The back
 For the backing, the 1/2 metre wasn't quite wide enough so I free cut one block (no double up of fabrics as per the tutorial) and inserted it into the middle. There was enough backing for the binding
 The finished runner is 11 1/2 inches wide and 22 inches long....super quick to make....

I still have heaps of my fat 1/4s left so
I made 8 little scent sachets, cut 5 1/2 inch square, quilted the pattern side with straight lines, backed them with solid, filled them with dried wood shavings scented with essential oil - a mixture of clove, vanilla and cinnamon for a spicy Christmas scent (they smell wonderful)
Little gifts for the girls at work with some mini Christmas puddings which I will make this weekend.
Cinnamon, Clove and Vanilla scent sachets
Bundled with red ribbon and cinnamon sticks









And there is still some fabric left!

1 comment: