Friday 1 January 2016

Finish Along

I have joined the 2016 Finish Along with Archie the Wonderdog.....I have scoured my cupboards and found some projects that have been waiting all too long for some attention ( and some I can ashamedly say have been waiting for over 10 years), compiled a list and are ready for the challenge.
So far my list includes 3 WIP's and 9 finished tops in various stages of quilting.
Here is a snippet of what's to be finished in my first quarter
Aussie Beauty - partially hand quilted
Made from beautiful Reece Scannell shot cotton and feature Aussie flora prints, I started this back in 2012 after purchasing the fabrics at the Queensland Quilt Show October of that year. I didn't use a pattern I just worked around using the prints to their fullest. Where this project that started relatively quickly came unstuck was the on set of summer weather. I am hand quilting this one with pearle 8 cotton so having a quilt over me in the Queensland summer heat just wasn't going to happen. Poor thing has been in the cupboard ever since. Still this one will have to wait till the end of the quarter for some more attention unless we get a cold snap, but it is out of the cupboard and in the pile of to dos.
New York Beauty - Karen Stone's Pattern
I started this at the end of 2006 - yes 10 years ago! Again my quilting has been my down fall. Love the quilt and all the work I put into it but I chose the wrong batting (way too thin) and have been disappointed with the result. However, finished is better than perfect and this year I will finish this one and move on.

Peppermint Candy Canes 
This one was only found about 2 weeks ago, and what I found was heaps of strips of reds and creams, the feature sashing fabric and piles of other fabrics that I had pulled together to complete this quilt.I had just watched scrap extraordinaire Bonnie Hunter in action on the Quilt Show and inspiration took hold. I had completed about 1/2 metre of one cream braid but having the strips ready to go was just what I needed. Being that Christmas was fast approaching and that I had just finished the little red and white Christmas tree table runner, I think the red and  cream quilt seemed appropriate to work on.
After a sewing day with Maggie earlier this week and a few more hours yesterday, this one has now moved from box of fabric and not even a 1/3 complete to in the quilting pile ...yay! I know this one was started out over 10 years ago, I don't know why it was lost for so long....
Feeling positive that 2016 will be the year of finishing, but hopefully time for a few new projects too.

1 comment: